These homemade bagels are ridiculously quick and easy! I have the Tefal Activfry (original) which probably isn’t the best shaped air fryer to make these in but it was do-able.
- 1 cup plain (all-purpose) flour + extra for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon rock salt
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt (low-fat makes the dough less sticky but just use whatever you have on hand)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Optional: flavourings of your choice.
I used: garlic powder and dried onion flakes. Put whatever you think might work – dump in some raisins, sesame seeds, or keep them plain.
- Optional: Cream cheese – but put whatever you want on, there are no rules!
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl (this is where I added 1 tsp of garlic powder).
- Add the salt.
- Mix dry ingredients thoroughly with a whisk or fork.
- Stir in the yoghurt with spatula until it forms into a dough. (Low-fat yoghurt will make a less stickier dough.)
- Dust a clean bench top with flour. Turn the dough out of the bowl onto the bench.
- Low-fat yoghurt: Knead the dough around 20 times
Full-fat yoghurt: Knead the dough 40 times, adding more flour if needed.
- Divide the dough into four equal parts.
- Roll each part into a long log and then join together to form a ring.
- Stick one bagel into the airfryer (or pop them all on the baking tray and into the oven).
- Beat egg in flour bowl with whisk or fork.
- Once the bagel has risen in the airfryer (approx 7 mins), open the lid and brush the bagel with some egg wash. (This is when I also added my onion flakes here)
- Check on bagel – once it is browned on top, it is ready. My airfyer took approx 13-15 mins in total.
(If you are using the oven method, do the egg wash and add your extras when you see the bagels have risen but not fully browned on top. Total baking time may vary from 20-25mins.)
- Serve with cream cheese (or whatever you want) and EAT!!!